take part at st. john’s
the walsingham guild
The Walsingham Guild, inaugurated in May 2016, exists to promote devotion to Our Lady of Walsingham and to encourage pilgrimages to her shrine. Membership in the the guild is open to all who have a devotion to Our Lady of Walsingham.
THE GUILD OF ST STEPHEN
Mass and the Sacraments are well supported at St John’s thanks to a dedicated team of male altar servers who make up the the parish’s branch of the Guild of St Stephen, inaugurated on Passion Sunday 2017.
The Guild is an international organisation of altar servers founded in England in 1904 by Fr Hamilton McDonald when he formed a Society of Altar Servers at the Convent of the Sacred Heart in London. In 1905 Pope Pius X gave his approbation to the canonical establishment of the Guild at Westminster Cathedral, and in 1906 the Sacred Congregation of Rites made the Guild an Archconfraternity prima primaria enabling all parish branches to be linked with it. In 1934 Pope Pius XI extended this to all guilds of altar servers throughout the British Empire. Further information on the important work of the Guild can be found here.
The Solemn Mass on Sundays involves a Crucifer, Thurifer, two Torchbearers, and a Master of Ceremonies. Servers also assist at weekday Masses, at Evensong and Benediction, and in administering the Precious Blood at Holy Communion for those servers who have been appointed Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion.
There are also three formally Instituted Acolytes in the parish who serve the subdiaconal ministry at all Solemn Masses, in according with Pope Paul VI’s 1972 motu proprio, Ministeria Quaedam, which can be found here.
Regular training is given, practices are held before major feasts, and before the celebrations of Christmas, Holy Week and Easter. The Guild offers valuable fellowship and fraternity for boys and men, and new Servers are always welcome and encouraged to join the Guild.
For more information please contact: email@example.com.
Lectors participate in the liturgies at St John’s by reading the Old Testament Lesson at the Sunday Parish Mass, and by reading the Lessons at celebrations of Mattins, Evensong and other services such as the Advent Carol Service, Nine Lessons & Carols, and the Easter Vigil. This is an important role in the life of the parish, and it is open to men and women.
Our Sidesmen play a valuable role in welcoming people to St John’s at our Masses and other liturgies, and in overseeing the smooth running of all services from the point of view of the worshippers. They distribute the bulletins and hymn books to regulars and visitors alike, take the collection and co-ordinate the presentation of the Gifts at the Offertory and assist worshippers as they make their way to the High Altar for Holy Communion, taking special care of those who are unable to leave their pew. They also ring the church bell before worship, and during the Consecration and the Angelus, and finally switch off lights, fans, adjust the heating and lock the church. Such roles, however small and unseen, are crucial for our common life together as we worship in fellowship with one another and the whole company of heaven.
The Women’s Auxiliary
The Women’s Auxiliary (WA) has its origins in our former Anglican parish, where the WA had been instrumental in the development of the parish from its first beginnings. The WA is central to our fellowship and social life at St John’s, and offers Catholic women (16 and over) an opportunity to engage in a valuable apostolate of prayer and action for, and on behalf of, the parishioners and the local neighbourhood. The WA is centred on spiritual development, service and buidling our parish community. WA also organises receptions for parish weddings, funerals and other events, helping to connect St John’s to the wider Inglewood community.
Knights of Columbus.
The Knights of Columbus is a Catholic men’s fraternal benefit society that was formed to render financial aid to members and their families. Mutual aid and assistance are offered to sick, disabled and needy members and their families. Social and intellectual fellowship is promoted among members and their families through educational, charitable, religious, social welfare, war relief and public relief works. Founded in 1882 by Fr. Michael J. McGivney in New Haven, Connecticut the order has grown to more than 15,000 local councils and more than 1.8 million members throughout Canada, United States, Mexico, the Philippines, the Bahamas, Virgin Islands, Guatemala, Guam, Sipan, Poland and recently Ukraine and Lithuania. The first Knights of Columbus council in Alberta and Northwest Territories was formed in Edmonton on January 5, 1907 with 30 Charter members. Since then the Knights have grown to more than 175 councils and more than 18000. The Knights of Alberta and Northwest Territories have been active in many worthwhile projects and activities. They are involved in their parishes, communities, and youth programs, support of vocations, education and health systems. Their involvement in community life is a record of outstanding benevolent achievement. Though several of our members at St. John’s are Knights we haven’t had our own group until now.
HOLY HOUSE HOMESCHOOL ENRICHMENT
The Holy House of Our Lady and St. John is an integrated educational programme at St. John’s that honours the theological order of the domestic Church, affirming parents as the primary educators of their children. Holy House offers two programmes: an authentic Catholic Montessori Preschool Programme and an Homeschool Enrichment Programme for students in Grades 1-12. All programmes at Holy House are informed by the knowledge that children are persons with dignity and a supernatural destiny.
The wholesome environment of Holy House allows each child to mature academically and in virtue with gentle and charitable guidance. Studies are meant to emphasize and nurture the intellectual, historical, artistic and spiritual gifts of the faith. The ultimate goal is for students to discover the influence and beauty of Catholicism in every aspect of culture and their own lives, growing in holiness and drawing ever closer to the Triune God.
choir and music
St. John’s is widely known for its zealous tradition of plainsong and great Anglican hymnody. Depending on the liturgical season and occasion, a variety of mass settings are sung in English or Latin: Merbecke’s Missa Simplicior, Willan’s Missa de Sancta Maria Magdalena, MASS XVII for Advent & Lent, MASS X Alme Pater for Lady Days, Requiem mass in Latin and English for All Soul’s and Remembrance Sunday. In addition, the Parish Choir is continually adding polyphonic masses, motets and anthems to its growing repertoire.
Weekly rehearsals for the Parish Choir are held on Wednesday evenings at 7.00 pm and on Sunday mornings at 9.00 am. Membership in the Parish Choir is by audition or invitation.